RUSSIAN IMPLEMENTATION PLAN FOR THE STOCKHOLM CONVENTION ON POPS HAS BEEN APPROVED
In October, the National Implementation Plan of the Russian Federation obligations in the framework of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants was approved.
The implementation plan includes activities to achieve the set goals, as well as deadlines, responsible executors and funding sources.
The implementation plan will allow to intensify the implementation of the Stockholm Convention, both among state institutions and lay the foundations for the active implementation of the Convention in industry.
The plan includes 7 main goals, divided into 2 sections. The goals are:
- Improvement of legal regulation in the field of handling persistent organic pollutants, taking into account the requirements of the Stockholm Convention on POPs.
- Improvement of the management system in the field of POPs management.
- Destruction / disposal of accumulated unsuitable and prohibited pesticides, industrial wastes and equipment containing POPs.
- Cleaning of areas contaminated by POPs.
- Monitoring of POPs content in the environment, monitoring of the health of the population due to exposure to POPs.
- Informational and educational outreach activities.
- Information exchange with the Secretariat and Parties to the Stockholm Convention.
- Section 1: activities to be completed by 2020,
- Section 2: additional activities planned for implementation in the long term (the costs of implementation of which can be forecasted in 2021-2028).
The implementation of the Plan should result in the cessation of use and unintentional production of persistent organic pollutants, environmentally sound destruction of their stocks and prevention of the emergence of new POPs.
As a consequence, the implementation of the Stockholm Convention should ensure the protection of human health and the environment from persistent organic pollutants.
More information on the Implementation Plan can be found on the website of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Russian Federation.